@1 year ago with 9 notes
#Churches #Places to vizit #Russia #travel
The Kalyazin Bell Tower is a Neoclassical campanile rising to a height of 74.5 metres (244 ft) over the waters of the Uglich Reservoir on the Volga River opposite the old town of Kalyazin.
The steepled belfry was built in 1796–1800 as part of the Monastery of St. Nicholas with a pentacupolar katholikon dating from 1694. Of its 12 bells, the largest weighed some 1038 poods. It was cast in 1895 to commemorate the coronation of Nicholas II of Russia.
When Joseph Stalin ordered the construction of the Uglich Reservoir in 1939, the old part of Kalyazin, including several medieval structures, was covered by the waters. The katholikon was dismantled, whilst the belfry remained, rising above the water.